Hair transplant procedures, such as Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), can be the solution for balding and thinning hair that many are seeking. As with any surgical procedure, there are certain things you should and shouldn’t do in order to prepare for FUE.
You will likely receive a set of instructions and recommendations from your surgeon and it is vital to follow those steps in the weeks leading up to your surgery. Consult this list, which includes some of what your doctor will recommend as well, before your hair transplant surgery.
- If you are a smoker, you will need to stop smoking at least one or two weeks before the surgery. This will be incredibly important for your healing after the procedure, as smoking inhibits blood flow to the skin and can interfere with that healing.
- Do not drink alcohol in the three days before the surgery to keep your system free of interfering toxins.
- Give yourself regular scalp massages in the weeks leading up to the surgery. Every day you should massage your scalp for about 10 minutes. This will soften the skin, help improve its tone, and aid in better blood circulation.
- Don’t get a haircut before the procedure. Although you may be balding and think that trimming the hair you do have won’t matter anyways, you need more than enough hair in your donor area for the procedure.
- Depending on your level of hair loss, you may need to take certain medication during the days or weeks prior to your procedure. Some surgeons may also ask patients to take antibiotics before the procedure to lessen chances of infection. Be sure to ask your doctor about any medication you need to take beforehand.
- You will likely need to stop taking other medication before the procedure. Avoid taking aspirin or other anti-inflammatory medication at least two weeks before your scheduled procedure. Surgeons may also recommend you stop taking antidepressants, blood thinners, and beta blockers up to two weeks before the surgery.
All of this preparation will help ensure that you have a successful hair transplant surgery. Typically, the FUE procedure takes about eight hours to complete. After your weeks of preparation and those hours of surgery, you will be well on the way to a healthy head of hair and leaving your balding scalp in the past.